Cottown LOL 1029
Loyal Orange Lodge 1029 first met at Cottown before moving to a cottage at Murdock’s Lane. The Warrant was issued during 1922 by the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland in the name of local farmer James A Macintosh.
The Ballygrainey Orange Hall was then built beside the Six Road Ends. The new building’s foundation stone was laid by Sister Emily J Connor JP WM, the Bangor Women’s Premier on the 3rd July 1926. The hall was officially opened on the 17th April 1927 by Viscount Craigavon.
The Lodge Banner
The Late Worshipful Bro John Gillespie features on the front of the lodge’s banner. Bro Gillespie led Bangor District’s 12th of July parade from 1938 – 1965 on his white horse as King William III.
On the back of the banner, Queen Elizabeth II’s Imperial Crown rests on the open Holy Bible under the watchful eye of God. This reflects the Orange Institutions loyalty and beliefs.
The Lodge Band
The Lodge parades behind a pipe band that is affiliated with the Lodge. The Cottown pipe band was formed on the 19th September 1947 by the Late Pipe Sergeant Alex Houston and the Late Mrs T Hanna with Pipe Major Frank Hope.
Today, the band is still flourishing
The Lodge recently had an intake of young members that boosted the numbers attending the monthly meetings and also secured the lodge’s future in the next century. The Lodge is investing in the future by electing many younger brethren as officers.